Friday, December 10, 2010

100 x 50...

That was our swim set last night with the masters club at UofT.  We did 100 x 50m long course!  That is 5000m...5km!!!!  This was my first attempt at any sort of physical activity since the Ironman and this is what I was faced with.  I chose a generous pace time for me knowing that I was not in peak swimming shape and still recovering from almost 13hrs of effort from a couple of weeks ago.  And this way I actually had someone to swim with as well which is always more fun.  So...we started our 50s on either 1min or 55sec, depending on where we were on the set.  The further along we got into the set, the more 50s on 55sec we were doing.  And on top of that, we had to breathe every 7 on every lap divisible or had the number 7 in it!  Haha!  It forced me to focus and stay on top of counting.  I normally get lost when we start counting lots of laps because my brain usually shuts off when I swim.  This time I had to stay focused or I was going to be completely lost.  I actually felt pretty good in the pool.  My body did feel a little tired when we started but it wasn't that bad.  I also felt a few twinges here and there but they worked themselves out.  I just tried to focus on my strokes while counting away.  We were cutting it close with pool time but we were determined to finish the set.  And we did!  And it felt awesome!!!  I think this was the first time I completed a 5km swim set in the pool.  I remember a couple of years ago it was a goal to complete 4km in our 2hr workout!  I do not think I ever got to 5km before.  This fall I have reached 4km and 4.5km.  Last night we did it in about 1hr40min.  Yay!!!  But my arms were dead weights when I was done!  They just wanted to fall off and were yelling at me! Hehe!  I was also winded by that effort for a while after getting out of the pool. 


I am suppose to start with short spins and runs of about 30min this week but I am not mentally ready for that yet.  And I am still a bit sick!  Yes...I got sick while in Cozumel by the Tuesday after the race and I was really bad by the Saturday.  Looking back, I think I was getting sick again starting the Friday before race day.  I wasn't feeling very well at all at the athlete's pasta dinner but I thought nothing of it and just continued on.  I have been working almost every night since I got back and haven't had a chance to really rest and get over my cold.  So I do not want to start training again with a cold and prolong it any more.  I need to get 100% completely healthy.

On a side note...when I went to the Vancouver Olympics earlier this year I fell in love with the red Olympic hoodie.  I was hoping to get one for my birthday from my parents as it had been a traditional gift for years but this year they did not get me one.  I searched high and low for one and it was sold out everywhere.  Well, The Bay just released another batch so I went in search for it at the downtown Bay stores and they were sold out.  I just checked online and they are available in my size!!!  Yay!!!!  So I just ordered one with free shipping and cannot wait to get my hands on it!!!

No comments: