Friday, March 25, 2011

Torture Thursdays ;)

I have been thinking about what term to coin my Thursdays.  Words as epic, insane, intense have all come to mind and describe my Thursdays well but I have decided on torture! LOL!  I like the "TT".  And I mean torture in a good way...really!  Thursdays are my masters workout day, both run and swim! Ha!  So that means I am at the Athletic Centre at UofT for about 4.5-5hrs.  Masters run starts at 6:30pm til about 8:30pm and then this is followed by Masters swim practice from 9-11pm. 

The run workouts are pretty intense.  These are track workouts where we are going pretty much full throttle at the specified distance as determined by our coach.  Thursdays are short distance days so we have had repeats of 50m to 500m so far.  This is followed by some circuits involving core/strength work and running/jumping up stairs.  Mondays are the other masters run workout day but I am usually working on Monday nights and have not been able to attend.  This is the first time I have done track workouts and I have been having quite a blast with the group and getting a good butt kick each time!  These guys are a great group of people full of speed, talent, kindness and motivation.  I am in awe of some of them for their age and speed and feel privileged to be able to train with them.  I hope this helps me become a better runner and I have actually started seeing improvements in my splits lately!

After a 30min break where I have started a trend of drinking a can of coconut water and eating a protein bar I then jump in the pool with the Masters swim group.  I have been swimming with these guys for a little over a year now and I have definitely seen improvements!  Actually, tonight a couple of my swim mates have commented that I have gotten a lot faster in the pool over the last year! Yay!   Thursdays are my favourite night to swim with the group because it's 50m long course and the coach is great!  We also swim Mon, Wed, Sun mornings and Fri nights but I normally only go to about three practices a week.  And a further bonus is that usually no more than ten of us show up Thursday nights so we get a bit more attention.  Swimming after a track workout is quite difficult.  I end up hitting the wall in the second half and my legs start cramping.  However, this hasn't happened the last couple of weeks.  I think my body is starting to get used to this a bit and I have been feeling stronger.  I usually get in about 4-5km of swimming on Thursday nights.

So there you go, Torture Thursdays!!!  And I love it!!!

1 comment:

foreknowledge ltd said...

OMG Wendy ... you go to swim practice after our Thursday night sessions??!! Unbelievable ... I go straight home and crawl into bed, a wimpering mess