Saturday, June 2, 2012

GFNY 2012

A couple of weeks ago I headed to the big apple to ride the Gran Fondo NY.  It was a fun weekend and a good way to get a real long training ride in.  We started on the George Washington Bridge in NYC to Bear Mountain and finished in Weehawken NJ by the waterways terminal.  Initially I thought the ride was 160km, then I learned pretty much the day before that the ride was 177km.  Great!  An Ironman distance ride!  Perfect!  This was not a race per se, the only thing that was timed were four climbs.  The rest was a cycle at your pace and have fun kind of event.  Since I was cycling on my own (the guys did not ride with me), I decided to treat it like a training ride.  I was not in race mode at all and did not even race the climbs.  I just took them steady.  I also took minimal time at the stops with just enough time to refill my bottles when needed.  It was a long day but a good one with over 8600ft on climbing.  I am really happy I got that ride in!  I wish I could have performed better in terms of rankings but I am ok with my performance.  Total ride time was just over 8hrs, yes a long day! lol!  My total climb time was 1:10:44 which placed me 60th in my division (W19-39) out of 113 starters but 77 finishers and 162nd female out of 312 starters/205 finishers.  On another note, the guys I went down with rode together and I caught them at the last aid station with 40km left of the ride.  I was pleasantly surprised to see them there and shocked at the same time.  They were taking their time at the aid stations fueling up so I ended up catching them!!! Hehe!  Here are some pics of the ride:

heading to the start at 5am taking the subway in NYC
waiting on the GW bridge


bird's eye view of the start

climbing

and more climbing

35km to the finish


No comments: