Friday, October 12, 2012

Bah-hum-bug!

Is my attitude right now! Lol!  This is the first time I am letting an injury beat me up and I am not liking it!  I am in unfamiliar territory dealing with my hamstring and I am not having a lot of fun at the moment.  Last night was the first time I did not finish my workout due to my hamstring pain.  I have managed to push through the pain and complete what was planned, albeit slower but I would still finish it.  But not last night!  I was planning on running 8 x 600m on the track after taking 6 days off of running.  I ended at six!  And I was not even going all out or anything.  I could not even do strides without pain so I did not do them.  Then today after a 3hr ride I was planning on running 10km.  Nope!  Stopped just shy of 8km because I was just getting slower and in too much pain to push any harder.  This is not my first injury by any means.  I have had my fair share over the years but I have been pretty lucky at the same time.  The timing in my past injuries allowed me to rest it properly before training again or was really bad that I was forced to rest (not by choice) so I was able to heal.  But this hamstring is just not cooperating with me! ;)  I was going to write a post last week with the title of "Power of Mind Part II" where I was going to discuss how strong a negative mind can be.  My last three races were going to be my reference for this.  In both the olympic and half races at Savageman, I gave up on the run.  Particularly in the olympic, I just did not fight and push through.  In the half IM, I managed to fight in the second half of the run and I pulled it together well.  At the Taylor Creek 5km, I was holding a good pace but at about 3.5km in, I gave up and let up and ended up being slower than last year.  I was going to attribute it to being burnt out.  However, even though a negative mind does affect athletic performance, a broken body will too.  Maybe it was just my body trying to tell me to slow down to prevent more harm.  Or it could have been both, a crazy race schedule and a broken body!  I am burnt out both mentally and physically.  I even had a tough time on the bike today, I just wanted to turn around and go home.  Well, maybe the near zero temperature and strong headwind didn't help but I had no juice in me to push stronger.  I did finish the ride but was bummed with my performance.  And of course, I stubbornly refuse to pull out of any races! Ha!  One more to get through!  Next weekend, one last half IM!  At least I did not sign up for any more races as I was originally planning on running a fall marathon too!  Lol!  That will have to wait, not this year!

No comments: