Monday, June 3, 2013

A little update...

What to say, what to say?!  Round 2 of post PRP is not going so well.  I think this time it is a bit harder because I got the taste of getting back into the swing of training and then I had to go back to nothing.  Plus I am in more pain than I was before the 2nd shot and I almost feel like I am in more pain than before the first shot! :(  The pain continues to go from the proximal insertion point where the tear is down to the back of my knee.  Even swimming hurts and I often have to resort to the pull buoy half way through swim practice because it just hurts too much.  Needless to say, I am getting a little frustrated and stubbornness, determination, and stupidity is beginning to set in.  I took the time off, was diligent with my rehab exercises, gone for treatments on a weekly basis (geez, I see my chiro more often than my parents!), spent lots and lots of money, and I have seen no improvement.  I still plan on doing the ironman and the two half ironmans I am signed up for and now that it is June I am getting  a little desperate.  I have been going for long rides once a week for the last couple of weeks despite it hurting me.  I continue to swim hard and I am even tempted to start running.  I need to be in shape to complete these races.  I have bargained with myself that if I do these races I will not sign up for anything next year.  My deal is that I am willing to make myself hurt more now and then to take next year completely off as long as I can race this year.  Yep, stupid! Hehe!  My back up plan for the ironman is to do the swim and bike and pull out of the run.  Ohhh....I just do not know what to do!  I know I should think long term but I am having a tough time doing that now.  I guess I am also in some denial.  What to do, what to do?!

4 comments:

The Old Plough Horse said...

Wendy! Wendy! Wendy! You are not going to like this, but here is what I think. I think you have decided to wade a wide stream, and you are 1/3 across, are worried about going all the way, and now want to go back to the shore and maybe try and cross again later. It doesn't make any sense to cross the stream that way. You are on the path and now you have to finish it. I think you should sit THIS year out to heal. If that's what it takes. Serious injuries require patience, and I recognize that is something you don't have a lot of. Yes, you have followed instructions (so far). And yes, it's not enough. Take the time it requires to HEAL. Do it now. End of lecture.

Duncan

Wendy said...

hahaha! thanks duncan!

Gareth said...

I did not realize you had signed up for IMMT as well although, knowing you, why I am surprised is anyone's guess!

You know I've been in your shoes, right? You also know that I continue to race multiple IM's a year knowing I am likely to get injured, right? That I am as stubborn as a mule? Incapable of heeding my own advice? Constantly ignoring that which is sensible?

The above stated, you may be playing with fire if you do the races, especially if you do not adjust your expectations. I've watched your times improve considerably since we passed each other on River Road at IMLP in 2008 and this this year may well have to go down as one of "those" years (I've had a few - it sucks!) The worst case scenario is that you swim, bike and walk the run. Or come out and heckle me since I will be backing IM Austria up with IMMT (did I mention I am as stubborn as a mule?) We can then get drunk like we did at IM Cozumel in 2009 :-)

Later gator.

Wendy said...

thanks gareth! ;) and just as you are stubborn, so am i! lol! I have adjusted my goals though and it is going to be just one of those years! no PBs this year! :( it was a good streak! hehe! I do have a game plan which includes that I do not want a DNF in the IM and am willing to walk the run. And yes, let`s get together post IMMT for some cozumel reminiscing!