Sunday, July 14, 2013

It is all in the mind!

I am living proof that Ironman and I guess athletics in general is 80% mental and 20% physical.  There are naturally talented athletes out there that this does not apply to but to the average joe, this is so true!

This is a long overdue post and I had so much happen the past little while!  But I wanted to post this about mental strength   Your mind can play tricks on you but it also is what makes you successful.  For me, my mind gave me success!  After my training week in Lake Placid we made our way to Mont Tremblant.  I had decided that I was going to go for the half ironman and cross the finish line.  I will write up a proper race report but I do have to say that I did surprise myself.  That half marathon was completed purely on mental strength!  Nothing else but my mind.  I had no run training in me to be able to finish the run.  Experience and my mind got me there!  I am ecstatic that I finished the half!

So with this, I am going full steam ahead and going for the full Ironman.  I have been putting in some good cycling mileage in my legs and logged 1210 km for the month of June.  I am slowly building up my run mileage and am up to 20 km now but I am not doing any speed work.  My hammy will not take any speed work and I will not risk doing any either.  I will not be looking for a personal best but that is ok with me.  My mental strength will get me through the Ironman!

Up next is a visit with a friend in Edmonton and then to Calgary for the 70.3!  Looking forward to some training in the Rockies!   Hope I do not encounter any bears though!

No comments: