Saturday, January 28, 2012

Si se puede!

I have been MIA from the blogging department lately but with good reason - I took a trip to Peru!!!!  It was an absolutely amazing trip! Unforgettable with some breathtaking views!  The main attraction of the trip was the four day hike on the Inka trail to Machupicchu.  Specatcular!  And our motto for the trek was "si se puede!" which is "you can do it" in Spanish! Lol!  So even though this post isn't exactly triathlon related there was some high altitude training involoved during the hike, well sort of! Ha!

The main concern I had going and doing this trek was the high altitude.  I read all about high altitude sickness and its symptoms and I was hoping my body was strong enough to fight it off.  I did not take any precautionary meds like Diamox as my friend did so I was hoping for the best.  Well, besides a bit of a headache on some days and a couple of dizzy bouts I was just fine!  Maybe all the training and hypoxic sets we do in the pool got my body used to doing physical activity in less than perfect conditions.  The trek was definitely a challenge but not the hardest thing I have done.  It does push you but it is also achievable by everybody.  I also carried my gear with me which weighed in at 12.5kg for some additional weight training, lol!  I am super happy I had the opportunity and the capability to experience such a wonder of the world.  Below are some pics of the trek and the trip.  I have posted a couple of albums on Facebook as well if you want to see more.  I have also posted the links to the albums.

Now that I am back I am trying to get back into serious training which I need to do ASAP!  Unfortunately, I am fighting a bit of a cold right now so I am trying to hold off on too much training before I am bedridden.  I think my body just may have had enough.  I have not been sick in a long time and I have been niggling for the last little while.  Guess I just ran my body in high gear for too long now.  I am also getting treatment for my plantar fasciitis on my left foot.  I am getting active release and shockwave therapy.  Had my first shockwave therapy session yesterday and boy was it interesting!   It initially hurt quite a bit and literally feels like someone is jackhammering into your foot.  Hope this works!  I am looking forward to a pain free season!  My sprained ankle on my right foot is still healing and does get sore at times.  I will be doing some proprioceptive exercises for that.  Hope these injuries sort themselves out before race season starts!!! 

At Dead Women's Pass - the highest peak and the hardest day of the trek (day 2)

Arriving at the SunGate just above Machupicchu - We did it!

Practicing some yoga! ;)

My favourite shot, in a market in Pisac

Lake Titicaca - the highest navigable lake in the world

The Sacred Valley



Here are my facebook links to the albums I posted:

No comments: