Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Swimming like a fish!

OK...well, maybe not!  But I am a Pisces! Lol!

A couple of Saturdays ago I swam in my second ever swim meet!  The Downtown swim club hosted the All Out Swim at UofT which was another sanctioned Masters Swimming Ontario event!  I really should have been a swimmer growing up because I had a lot of fun!

I decided to go all in for this meet and swim the maximum of 5 events allowed.  I decided to swim the 800m, 400, 200, and 100m free and for fun I threw in the 50m breast, all long course!

My first event was the 800m free.  I seeded myself pretty generously at 14:00min because I did not know what I can swim this in.  Realistically, I wanted to swim it in under 13:45 though.  My dive starts are still pretty pathetic but my main goal was to not lose my goggles! Ha!  And that I accomplished in all five dives but I did do a bit of a belly flop in a couple of them.  The first 100m of the 800 was way too fast, I had way too much adrenaline in me and I just tried to settle into a strong but steady pace after that.  I swam the first 100m in 1:29! Lol!  After that, I settled into a steady 1:38-40 pace.  With all the ironman training, I am definitely a long distance swimmer.  I came in at 13:01!  Woot! Woot!  Not bad, not bad!  Would have been fun to come in under 13min but I did place 2nd in my age group in this event.  Next was the 200m which was swam right after the 800s were done.  This was my worst swam event in my opinion.  The first 100 was about a 1:28 and then I completely fell apart and swam the last 100 in 1:37!  Oops!  That was not well executed.  Finished in 3:05 which put me in 5th.  I wanted to go under 3min since I swam this in 2:53 at the short course Etobicoke event.  Then was the 50m breast!  Hehe!  I quickly got the how-to for the dive start and the two handed wall touch for the finish which I had no clue about.  I gave it my all and happily came to the wall in 49.26!  I just wanted about :55!  I came 6th here; clearly not a breast-stroker.  Final event before the break was the 100m.  Another all out sprint which I kind of fell apart in too! Hehe!  I swam this one in 1:24 but was actually hoping for under 1:20.  This one put me in 4th.  My final event was the final event of the day, the 400m free.  I swam this one pretty solid as well with pretty even splits and finished it in 6:21 which gave me another 2nd place finish.  Yay!  I did swim faster than all my seed times for all the events.  I also got some valuable tips from fellow swimmers and the swim coach is now going to work on my stroke more with me to become a more efficient swimmer!  :)   Great day all around!

I am looking forward to the next swim meet!  Not sure when that will be though.  I would also like to thank the Downtown Swim Club for putting on a great meet!

No comments: