Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Week 2 Down!

I am back into the swing of training again!  I am actually very excited to have a training program again that I have to follow and a coach to be accountable to!  It's been tough to get back into the swing of things and I have to be much more organized to be able to fit everything in but I am loving every minute.  Week one and two were a success.  I completed all planned workouts and met all current targets! Woo!  Last week I even logged almost 12 hours of training! I'm ba-ack!!! :)  

Now though, I am faced with a minor set back!  If you refer back to my previous post you will see that I mentioned turning my ankle at the fun NYE 5km run I did.  I hoped it was just a sprain, but alas, injury hits me again.  The top of my foot ended up getting bruised and caused some concern for me.  If I sprained my ankle, I would have expected my ankle itself and the area around it to be bruised like my other one did back in September.  But this bruise was on the top of my foot on the baby toe side.  I did initially get it checked out and got an x-ray and it was clear.  I was told to not run and give it a couple of weeks.  Yesterday I had a follow up and the news was not so good!  I ended up getting put in an air cast!  Noooo!!!!  The doc assessed my foot and there is still pain over top of the 5th metatarsal bone.  He said there are no ligaments or tendons in that area so it is a bone injury.   I have very loose ligaments so I either turned my ankle so far that I landed on the top of my foot to cause this pain or the ligament was so strong that it pulled on my bone or I plain and simple just broke it.  He said there was no point in getting another x-ray at the moment since nothing may still show up.  It may or may not be fractured.  Either way, he said the treatment will be the same.  If it isn't broken, it is a bone bruise and a stress reaction of the 5th metatarsal.  And I am not to weight bear because I can risk making it worse.  So I am in a walking boot for two weeks and then I will reassess at that point.  He actually also wanted to put me on crutches but I must have given him some look that he decided not to.  My plan right now is to replace my run workouts with water running.  I am very determined not to fall too far behind in running.  I can keep cycling and swim training as long as there is no pain.  Getting around will be a challenge with it being winter though.  I just ordered a waterproof cover so I can be more mobile without getting my poor foot wet or freezing it to death.

My new footwear!  Didn't plan on starting 2017 in this!



No comments: