Thursday, June 17, 2010

Some catching up...

So I have already done two races this season: Rev3 Knoxville Half IM and Hawaii 70.3.  Here is a quick recap on both races...

Rev3 Knoxville Half Ironman: 

I went into this race thinking I could go under 6hrs with no problem but I had a quick reality check!  haha!  The swim was great, it was in the Tennessee River and it went pretty smooth.  I finished the swim in just over 31min but crossed the timing mats in just over 32min.  Then it kind of went downhill.  The outside temperature was pretty cool and I froze running to T1.  Fumbled in transition and I was off on the bike.  The bike course took me by complete surprise!  It was all climbing with switchbacks the whole way.  Since I was cold my muscles took a loooong time to warm up and I couldn't get going.   I was also in my big ring the whole time thinking that the climb would be over when I turned the corner...nope!  It wasn't until about 40km into the bike that I felt like I could giv'er a bit and I did.  Finished the bike in 3:20 and change and was a bit disappointed by that.  The run was a lot of up and down as well but I pushed the whole way and ran my second best half IM run in 2:09 and change.  Total time was just over 6:08.  Not ecstatic with the result but I was ok with my first race of the season.

Hawaii 70.3 

It was soooo awesome to be racing in Hawaii on part of the IM course!  The swim was probably one of the roughest swims I've ever been in, including all Ironmans!  I was beaten up, goggles punched off, and dunked!  I just wanted the swim to be over, it was awful!  Finished the swim  in just over 34min.  Once again I fumbled in transition and then onto the bike.  I dropped my chain early in the ride switching from my small to big ring so I just stayed in my big ring for the rest of the ride because I didn't want to deal with dropping my chain again.  Apparently the guys thought I was "badass" for doing this!  haha!  The bike course took place on the second half and the more difficult part of the IM course.  What makes this course difficult are the brutal winds, sun, and heat.  The winds were coming from everywhere.  On the long climb out to Hawi we had to deal with strong head winds and some cross winds.  On the return trip, there were some nasty cross winds and I was just praying that I stayed on my bike.  It was white knuckles at times descending and catching some good gusts!  I completed the bike in about 3:18...again, not all that thrilled with the time but this was a hard ride.  The run took place on a golf course.  We ran on grass, some trails, and asphalt going up and down and making tight corners.  A difficult run course for sure with no shade and running in some lava fields!  I had nothing left in the tank at the end and clocked in at about 2:13.  I completed this race in 6:13 and a bit.  A tough course for sure but well organized and I had fun!

No comments: