Friday, July 9, 2010

Peterborough Half Swim/Bike Race Report

I decided to just do the swim/bike option for the Peterborough half IM.  I was tempted to do the whole thing but after talking it over I decided to save myself and my body from a long recovery and race the swim/bike.  I was also doing this race coming off of almost 20hrs of training this week so I knew it was going to hurt...and hurt it did! 

Running out of the water to start the 2nd loop


 
 Running out of the water to T1
The swim was not my best swim at all!  The first loop was a bit chaotic.  I have been in really rough swims before but this was rough chaos!  I got scratched, pushed, and almost swam over.  I was not a happy swimmer out there.  Finally got some clear water on the way back on the first loop and exited the water in just over 16min.  Then I sprinted out of the water and jumped in to start the second loop.  I may have ran a little too hard though as I almost completely seized when I started swimming the second loop.  Haha!  I also started feeling really tired...whole body tired!  I then knew I was in a bit of trouble and couldn't hold my pace.  I exited the swim, ran out of the water, and crossed the timing mats which were at T1 in 35:42.

The bike was quite the battle!  As soon as I started I knew I was in trouble right off the bat!  My legs were hurting!  My muscles were toast and it took a lot out of me to get going.  I was quickly reminded of the tough course Peterborough is.  So I just pushed on and struggled through the first half of the course.  I felt a bit better after the turn around and tried to push even harder.  There was a pretty strong headwind on the return trip making the rollers even more challenging.  Then around 70km or so Marianne passed me and yelled something to me that made me wake up a bit more.  I then repassed her and worked my hardest to keep her away.  I was successful but it hurt and I had to dig deep to do so!  Thanks Marianne for that extra push!  I needed it!  I really wanted to finish the bike in under 3hrs but it just wasn't happening!  I finished the ride in 3:07:39 with a normalized power of 159W.  I decided to race in my training wheels so I can use the powertap and get some sort of baseline value.  Not my fastest ride but I worked hard on tired legs!

Total time was 3:44:56.  Not bad for a training race.  I then did a short 20min run off the bike and felt ok, slow, but ok!  It was also a very hot and humid day so I was glad I did not have to race the whole thing.  Now for some recovery days and a crazy stretch at work.  I am looking forward to Steelhead to see what I can do on fresh/taperd legs! :)

No comments: