Monday, July 19, 2010

Slowly logging in the miles.

I had a pretty good week in terms of training!  Feeling a lot better about IMC now!  Pheww!  After my long ride on Wednesday, I did a tempo run on Thursday.  I ran a total of 13km but on slightly tired legs.  Then I forced my way into the pool on Friday morning after shift to put in my 2x1km timed efforts.  I really felt tired in the pool that morning.  Arms were heavy and I wasn't moving that quickly.  I still did both 1km efforts but my times were not stellar.  I was hoping for both of them to be under 17min, but the first one was done in 17:35 and the second was in 18:03.  I had the rest of Friday off which was nice so I got to sleep a little more.  Then Saturday morning a few of us headed up to Lake Wilcox for some open water swimming.  I almost was going to bail because I was tired but I still went.  It ended up being a really good swim.  Lake Wilcox is great for open water swimming because it is a smaller lake and it is used by other triathletes, rowers, and kayakers for training.  There is a line of bouys that goes across the lake that measures 1km so it's great practice for sighting.  The first km, on the way out, I felt a bit tired and my right shoulder was actually quite sore.  I am not a big fan of wearing wetsuits so I need all the practice I can get.  One of the reasons I do not like wetsuits is that I feel constricted and my shoulders and arms get sore and tired.  To me, it feels like extra work to swim in a wetsuit.  But if you talk to others, they would totally disagree with me! ;)  I did the first km in about 16:45.  The second km, we had a bit of a tailwind and I drafted off super swimming star Larry.  Well, I tried to hang onto his feet for as long as I could.  He actually did some backstroke from time to time so I can catch up to him and draft again!  We did the return trip in 15:01 but that was with a short stop when we were trying to figure out if we reached the last buoy and me totally crashing into another buoy!  Haha!  So we probably swam it in just under 15min...woohoo!!!!  Never thought I could swim 1km in 15min!  A couple of us then went out for some breakfast before I headed back home to sleep.  I woke up to do my second workout which was a trainer ride for 1hr30min where I did 3x30min @ 140W on the computrainer.  Sunday came along and it was my long run day.  I left a little late so I couldn't run for the full 2hrs as originally planned.  I felt pretty good at the beginning so I pushed the pace a bit.  Unfortunately I couldn't keep the same pace and I did slow down.  I ran a total of 19.3km in 1:55.  Not too shabby.  Goal was to maintain a 6min pace.  But boy was it another humid day!  Not as hot but still humid, I couldn't believe how much I was sweating!  I logged a total of 16hrs of training this week and that was with me working every night except for Tuesday night!  I am quite pleased with this!  Hard work though.  Currently on night 5 of 6 at work!  Woohoo!  Almost done!  Looking forward to another good and tough week of training! :)

No comments: