Thursday, August 5, 2010

My loooong run

Well I finally got in a 30km run this year and it hurt!  I am in Parry Sound hanging out with my favourite triathlon family to train for my final big week before I taper.  After a 5hr trip to get here, I went out for my run with the goal of reaching the cottage in Killbear from Parry Sound which is about 35km.  I had planned on running 35km and started off feeling great!  However, by 15km or so I wasn't feeling as great and the hills just kept coming.  I didn't realize how hilly this run was going to be so I kind of fell apart mentally and probably didn't take in nutrition early enough.  I think once I started taking nutrition it may have been a little too late.  I took one gel at about the 15km mark and tried to take in another one at 21km but it didn't really go down smoothly.  Marianne was sooo awesome to drive along the course and meet me at times to refill my bottles with eload.  Unfortunately, I do not think the eload was sitting well with me.  Then she got a coke for me which was sooo good and I was drinking it from about 23km.  But at 26km I totally thought I was going to hurl.  I started dry heaving and I really thought I was going to throw up!  Nothing came up but my stomach muscles hurt as I was heaving.  I continued shuffling along and had planned by this point to only run 30km.  My form went down the tube, my feet were barely getting off the ground on the hills, I ended up walking some of the hills, and I felt awful.  I made it to 30km and was soooo happy to be finished!  Everything hurt and I felt nausea but I got that run in.  After the run I had a refreshing dip in Georgian Bay at the cottage.  It felt great to be in the lake out of the sun and heat, but then both my feet cramped up.  Haha!  Thanks so much to Marianne for driving along and refilling bottles, getting coke, and making sure I was not eaten by a bear!  Yes...bears!  There are bears in the area and I was worried at times that one would come out of the trees.  Thankfully, I did not have to encounter them today!

No comments: