Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Taper time and a Sprint race!

Again...I'm a little late in writing this but I was legitimately busy!  I am right now writing this at the Edmonton airport waiting for my next flight to Kelowna!  And then it's to Penticton...here I come!

So after my grand ride to Barrie, the taper started, as well as a long stretch at work.  A total of 9 shifts in a row!  Well, I got through them and fit in most of my workouts including a 20km run which went ok.  During this time I had to meet people to drop off and pick up bikes, fit in a lunch with my mom, and a dinner with friends.  But then I got a week off before I had to head out to Penticton!  Woohoo!!!

The last week flew by.  Did some things I really needed to do like CLEAN!  I desperately needed to clean my place which I successfully did.  Then on the weekend I played support crew to Marianne and her friend for the Midsummer's night run.  Some of my other friends were running the race as well so I had a few people to cheer and take pictures of.  After the race, Marianne, her friend, and I rushed to get on the road to Parry Sound.  I was going to race at the Parry Sound sprint tri on the Sunday!  We arrived in PS pretty late, almost 2am!  Tried to sleep and then was up early to help out with the race.  I ended up volunteering for the try-a-tri on the run course to direct the racers on which way to go.  I actually had a lot of fun doing this as I cheered on many first time triathletes!

Then I got to race!  Last tune up before IMC!  The swim went fairly well.  I had no wetsuit as I sent my wetsuit and bike to Penticton.  So I wore my speedsuit and had a good swim.  The bike was a bit awkward as I was borrowing Marianne's bike which is a bit too small for me.  But it served me well.  I also tested the aerohelmet and I kind of liked racing with it so I think I am going to use it for IMC!  Also got to use my new sunglasses and liked them very much.  I got another set of lenses for overcast days which I ended up using and it even has my name on it!  So cool!  The run was pretty tough!  I was third female off the bike but then got passed lots on the run.  I tried to go hard but wasn't very fast on the hilly Parry Sound course.  I averaged about 5:45min/km.  Ah well!  The hills got me!  I did manage to still come first in my age group which is a first for me!  Yay!!!  That was fun!  Marianne took lots of pics so I am hoping to steal some from her and I can post them.

Monday I went for a great swim with David in Georgian Bay before I made my way back to TO.  Played host to Marianne and Lynsey for the night and then David came the next night since our flights were at the same time!  Packed for IMC (well, overpacked!) and now am at airport!  Getting sooo excited!!!!

No comments: