Saturday, July 30, 2011

Belwood Triathlon Race Report

Belwood Tri
July 24, 2011

Again, I am a little late in writing this! Oops!  This was not an originally planned race.  I decided to do this last week as a push to get training again after France. 

I also decided to try out my disc wheel that I had sitting around for a couple of years.  So race day was the first time I used a disc and was also the first time I was on Limey since France.

I went sans wetsuit for the 1km swim.  I started putting it on and a few people were talking about how warm the water was so I made the very last minute decision to go without it and use my speedsuit instead.  Yet during the swim I actually wished I had my wetsuit on as I really felt the difference in my legs.  The wetsuit allows my legs to rest a bit more and float but this time I had to kick the whole time and my legs were actually feeling a bit tired.  The water was nice but I did not have the greatest swim.  I got out of the water in under 18min but by the time I crossed the timing mat I clocked in at 18:48 for a 1:53/100m average.

coming out of the water


heading out of T1

Got onto the bike and just wanted to go steady.  I was pushing the pace a bit though and my legs were feeling it.  However, I felt like I was cheating the wind a bit a few times with the disc wheel.  It was funny, I normally hear the whoosing sound of someone else passing me on their disc wheel.  This time I heard the whoosing sound and realized it was me! hehe!  I actually had fun out there with that!  Got off the bike and averaged 32.9kph for the 30km course for a time of 54:43.  Not bad at all for me!


Started the run and my legs were trashed!  Probably the effects of very minimal running since France and pushing the bike both on race day and the days leading up to the race.  I was aiming for a 35min 7km run knowing very well that was very rich for me.  I just focused on trying to push my pace and as I kept running I was slowly getting faster.  I again had two people chasing me down on the run and I just barely managed to keep them away from me but I had to work hard at that.  I pretty much gave it my all!  And a bonus, Marianne and her son were out there cheering me on at the end of the run for a last little boost!  I came in at 37.07 for a 5:19min/km average!  Not bad for me again!  Although I believe the course was a little short.


Total time 1:53:09, good enough for 7th out of 21 in my age group.  This was the first time I raced at Belwood and it was a good course!  I had fun out there!  Up next is Steelhead in a couple of weeks and I need to get my running back soon!  But first I am near Williamstown, MA for a cycling weekend with the boys! 

No comments: