Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Guelph Lake II

Guelph Lake II Race Report
September 3, 2011

I decided to do this race as a prep for the Muskoka 70.3 next weekend.  I was working the whole long weekend anyway and I figured this would be the best way to get a good workout in.  So I raced Saturday morning and had to report to work that night for four nights! 

Race morning I had a bowl of oatmeal, a banana, and a cup of coffee.  Got to the race site and reunited with Limey who was staying up north until Muskoka.  Chatted with some friends, got my gear ready, and was set to go. 

The 750m swim went ok.  When the gun went off for my wave I decided to start pretty aggressively and I actually was leading the swim for all of 10seconds! Lol!  I started swimming hard but quickly the lactic acid built up and then I backed off.  I got into a nice rhythm and felt ok but I did not have a great swim time.  In fact, this was one of my slowest swims for the year.  By the time I crossed the timing mat (which was a good run uphill), I clocked in at 15:04 for a 2:01min/m.  Yikes!  That actually really sucks for me!  Anyway, I was 4th out of the water in my age group.



Transition went ok and then I was off on the bike.  Legs were not feeling that great and it took me until the turnaround before I really started hammering it on the bike.  Don't know if I pushed it too hard out there but I had my fastest bike split too date! Yay!  I tried a caffeine pill as well for the first time and I do not know if it helped me or not.  It did not bother me so I may try it again in Muskoka.  I completed the 30km ride in 54:02 for a 33.3km/hr average!  Good enough for 3rd in my age group for the bike! 


check out the bruise on my left leg from the dock jumping incident last week! lol!

Got through transition then onto the run course.  Ok...so here I died!  Maybe I pushed the bike too much or the humidity really got to me.  It was around 39C with the humidex.  Whatever it was, I was suffering out there.  I just had no running legs and was really struggling.  Then my mind went into doubting mode as I was trying to figure out how I am going to run a half marathon off a 90km bike next weekend!  Oy!  I actually had two guys who passed me turn around and asked me if I was ok.  That was how bad I was breathing out there!  I sounded horrendous!  Lol!  As much as I wanted to just stop I did not.  And I was getting faster as I continued running but clocked in my slowest run splits for this year!  Boo!  I ran the 7.5km course in 40:07 for a 5:44min/km.  9th in my age group for the run.  Total time was 1:52:23 and I lost 3rd place by 13 seconds as the third place girl in my age group passed me on the last corner.  I tried to stay with her but just could not.  Final standing was 4th out of 32 in my age group!  Not bad!  But not totally pleased with my performance.  I did get called to the podium and got a plaque. Lol!



Just hope I have a better time at Muskoka this weekend!!!  Eek!!!

No comments: