Monday, November 28, 2011

Mixing it up a bit!

I decided to try a couple of different things to keep me in shape during my off season.  I figured I would get back into serious tri training in January but I didn't want to get too out of shape.  I am still running and swimming with the Masters groups so that definitely helps!  And really, I can't get out of shape with those groups!  They really do keep me in check!  I haven't touched my bike though since my last race in September except for commuting all around the city on my single speed (which I really do enjoy!).  But this time, I decided to give bootcamp and yoga a whirl!

I have done yoga before and have done ashtanga, moksha, and bikram classes but it has been more than a year since I have practiced any yoga.  I usually stop practicing yoga once training and race season starts but I am hoping this time it will be different.  I went to a new studio for me at Fireflow Yoga and I loved it from the moment I first stepped in which is quite different from my other yoga studio experiences.  In the past I had to return to a few classes to warm up to the studio and a couple of them I just never did warm up to because I felt it was a bit to stuck up for me.  But this one is great!  I LOVE going to classes!  They offer both vinyasa and athlete yoga classes and I am enjoying them very much.  And I really hope I can maintain a consistent practice throughout the year and for many years to come.

Bootcamp was something I wanted to try for a while.  I found an awesome deal through WagJag where I got one month unlimited for $30 so I figured I had nothing to lose.  Classes are offered every morning within a 10min walk from me.  So I started it and get my booty kicked.  I do have to say I am quite impressed with myself and I realized I am quite in shape.  Anything abs, core, and legs I can do no problem.  My weakness are my arms.  And I think I have never seen my biceps so defined as they are now, lol!!!  It is definitely a great hour of working out which I don't think I would ever do on my own.  There is a lot of pain and lactic acid involved but it is a lot of fun!  However, once the month is up I do not think I would continue because quite frankly it is too expensive for me.  It would be great to keep this up over the winter months and really tone up and get my core in tip top shape but I can't see myself paying that much for these classes.  I am hoping I can learn from them and do some of these exercises on my own though!

1 comment:

foreknowledge ltd said...

whew ... if you had said you were finding you were NOT in shape at these classes, I would have had a heart attack.