Thursday, November 17, 2011

OMA XC Provincials

On Sunday I ran in the OMA Ontario XC Championships in Guelph and I really had a blast!!!  This time it was a 5km run and the weather was quite favourable except for a pretty harsh headwind at times.  I travelled with two other teammates (thanks for the ride!) and got to see my first ever big cross country meet.  Other races were going on and it was fun to watch some speedy youngsters rip the course up.  I did a 20min run in the morning before leaving for Guelph and I did another ~10min run once we arrived in Guelph on the course. 

Part of the reason why I am having so much fun is being part of a team!  And I got to put on my UTTC singlet and spikes again! Furthermore, everyone is so encouraging and positive, how can I not have fun!?  We did our little cheer at the start line and then the race was on.  I think I started out way too fast because I had the lung-burning feeling early on.  I was also running close to people I normally don't run close to, lol!  But I paid the price for that!  Before the half way mark I was getting passed by other runners again.  No passing on my part this time....oh well!  And I was just hanging on at the end...I faded fairly quickly.  The wind didn't help though but I probably should have paced it a little bit better.  I ran a 24:33 for the 5km...a PB for me!  Yay!  I also got a medal for placing third in my age group...although there were only three in my age group! Haha!  But I can say that the first place woman is a pro-triathlete!  UTTC maintained our second placing for the OMA XC series!

Hmmm.....I am liking this XC thing!!!!  Too bad it's the end of the season and I'll have to wait til next year to try it again!

Up next: 10km road race in Whitby this Sunday....I'll be gunning for a PB!!!

No comments: