Wednesday, November 9, 2011

XC Race #3

In my state of insomnia (flipping back and forth from night shifts to days is not working right now!) I have decided to finally get around to writing a report from my third XC race last weekend at Sunnybrook park.  This was the same course as the 4km we did a couple of weeks before this race but this time we ran the loop twice for 8km.  That meant we had to run up the steep muddy hill twice.

I did not have to work the night before and it made a huge difference in how I felt.  Ok, maybe not so much in performance but this time I felt like I was able to push it a bit more in places and my legs felt fine. I rode to the run again and that hill actually wasn't that bad either, lol!  It was an absolutely beautiful day to run though!!!  Even wore sunglasses!  As well, our girls team decided to dress up in Halloween costumes for this race and we came out as cheetahs!  One of our team members made some ears and tails for us!  Lol!  So much fun!!!  Oh....and and this was the first time I ran in a UTTC singlet!!!  Now I felt like a serious runner! haha!

The run started and I just tried to hold a good pace.  Also tried to be more aggressive in the downhills but I still need to work on that.  Got to the big hill and passed two guys who just passed me before the hill as we were going up.  I thought that they would re-pass me after the hill but I managed to keep them away.  Going up that hill actually was a lot of fun! It was so muddy that when I planted my foot down it would slide back a bit.  Also almost lost my shoe as my heel popped out when my shoe got stuck in the mud.  I passed one more person, a female runner, before the end of the first loop!  Yay!!!  I am finally passing some people.  Completed the first loop just a bit slower than the race a couple of weeks ago and then tried to push it more on the second loop.  Got to the hill the second time and I caught up to and passed my friend Tim as I was huffing and puffing!  I could not say two words to him!  I wanted to pass on some encouraging words but no can do!  Got to the top and I thought he was going to re-pass me and I tried my darnest to stay in front of him.  I was successful but at one point he was really gaining on me.  I was hoping for a 40-41min run but I was a bit ambitious with that goal and was off by a bit.  I clocked in at 42:30.

Good times though!  I am liking this cross-country thing! Haha!  UTTC managed to hold onto our second place overall in the standings! Yay team!!!  I also decided to run at the Ontario Masters Championships this weekend in Guelph!  Go figure, I am running at provincials!  Out of my league but I am having fun and hope I can just run my heart out!

No comments: