Friday, December 16, 2011

Keeping my fingers crossed!

I have been very lucky in the injury department the last couple of years.  And I really hope my streak continues.  My last serious injury was back in late 2009 around the time of IM Cozumel when I had a possible back stress fracture.  It was painful to just walk and after the Ironman I took two months off to heal and I was successful.  I have niggling stuff now and then with muscles and the latest is a sore right hamstring and quite possibly plantar fasciitis in my left foot which I have yet to confirm.  Based on the symptoms I am 99% sure I am dealing with that and maybe I should get proper treatment before it gets really bad.  But last night I did a good one.  I was debating about even going to the track workout because I came off of my night shift that morning, then went Christmas shopping during the day (which I am happy to say I am done!!!) and then decided to go to track with no sleep!  Not smart of me at all.  Worse is that I have been up since 6:30am Wednesday morning!  I never take a nap on my first night as I am up and training and doing errands.  Well, I was up all day, worked all night, and then was up all of the following day.  I should have known better and stayed home and go to sleep.  But I was feeling ok and decided to go and just run the 600s easy.  And I did exactly that.  I did not go hard because I did not want to injure myself and held a good pace and was consistent for all the intervals.  It was after the repeats that did me in.  We do circuits which include jumping up the stairs on one foot and two feet.  On the best of days I am not the greatest but I have improved tons since I first joined the club at jumping up the stairs.  But my coordination and balance was so off and I was all over the place.  On the third set, I was doing the one-footed jump on my right leg and instead of landing straight on my foot I landed on my toes unbalanced and then straight onto my ankle also hitting my left shin onto the concrete stairs.  And the pain that shot through my ankle left me on the stairs unable to move.  I have a high pain tolerance to begin with but I was actually brought to tears  I have sprained my ankle before in ballet class when I was a teenager and did not feel what I felt last night.  It was so painful I was afraid I actually broke it because I couldn't even move it.  After a couple of minutes I slowly tried to move it again and it was a lot better.  I was afraid to get up and put weight on it but I did and was relieved that I could move it and put weight on it.  So I followed coach's orders and iced it right away.  Now about 24 hrs later I have a swollen foot.  My ankle is not too bad but my foot is quite sore.  My range of motion is not the greatest and walking does hurt.  I am not limping though.  I actually even tried out yoga and swimming today (ok....again, not smart of me!).  I was a little tentative at yoga as putting weight on it does hurt but I managed ok and swim was fine; I just didn't push off the wall with that foot.  I am still icing it and I am hoping for the best.  If it is still bothering me a week from now I have decided I will get it checked out.  Lucky for me it is the off season and I can afford time off.  I just hope it really is nothing and just a freak accident that hurt at that moment and nothing else!

2 comments:

foreknowledge ltd said...

Oh no Wendy! I knew you were a bit shook up with the stumble, and it obviously hurt. But you seemed to rally later. How is the foot now?

Wendy said...

Hey Duncan! It's still a bit swollen and putting full weight on it a certain way and walking hurts...but it is getting much better! Thx!