Monday, December 5, 2011

Santa Shuffle

Saturday I ran the Santa Shuffle 5km in Sunnybrook Park raising funds for the Salvation Army.  This was a different run from what I am used to.  This was more of a fun run and fun I did have.  We got bibs but no chip times.  There was a clock at the finish but no finishing times or results were posted.  I went into this trying to run a 22:30 for 5km but just missed the mark.  I was wearing my Garmin and realized midway through the run that the course was longer than 5km.  It was about 300m long.  That was ok except for that I did not press the stop button hard enough when I crossed the finish line so I really had no idea what time I finished the run in.  And I ran back to find a friend to help her run the last part hard so that was all included in my total time.  So based on my Garmin I hit the 5km mark in 23:10.  Not bad!  If there was a finish line at this mark I usually try to kick it into high gear and could have maybe brought this time down.  Something to work towards!  I did learn that I am not a good 5km runner! Lol!  I went out too hard and was slowing down considerably at the end.  I think right now I am better at pacing a 10km than a 5km.  I also believe I was 5th woman overall.  I noticed right off the bat two women were ahead of me.  I passed some early on but at the last km I had two women pass me.  So I figured that gets me 5th.  But since no results or awards were posted I really am not 100% sure.  It was a fun Saturday morning though and technically another PB for me! Yay! Lol!!!  I would like to try some more 5km races and see if I can get even faster! ;)

No comments: