Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My first track meet.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I participated in my first ever track meet on Sunday.  This was an OMA event held at York University and I actually had some fun! Lol!  I was completely out of my league and was in awe at some of the talent and running prowess surrounding me.  And at the same time, everyone was very supportive and friendly!  What a great mix! 

I ran the 3000m in between my night shifts (I really have to stop doing this!).  In retrospect, I probably should have tried to run harder but I was worried about falling apart.  Why did I think that, who knows.  I can survive 3km, lol!  But there is the potential of completely blowing up if you do go out too hard.  I started off feeling pretty good and was running right behind a guy until I fell off pace and then I was running on my own getting lapped by the other guys.   But I stayed focused and tried to stay relax and held an even pace from laps 4 to 15 with the last two being the fastest ones.  I ran the first km in about 4:07 and then my pace dropped to about 4:30-4:40.  I ran the 3000m in 14:08.  My lungs were on fire afterwards as the track venue is super dry.  I even had an aweful cough for several hours and sounded horrible at work that night and was losing my voice.  I am looking forward to trying this again and think I will sign up for the next event in two weeks time.  And hey, I even actually brought in points for the club.  I am going to try to drop my time and see if I can improve.

Anyone have any tips for me on how to run fast on the track? ;)

1 comment:

foreknowledge ltd said...

And don't forget, you set a Club record! As for next time, now you know what it's like and "si se puede". Try to stay focused on other runners at your speed and attempt to stay with them. Look at the bull's eye right between their shoulder blades. Then with 200m to go, start your hard a** kick, bolt by them, & celebrate the victory. Easy!