Sunday, February 26, 2012

My last race as a 33 year old!

Today I ran in my second ever track meet and officially my last race as a 33 yr old as my birthday is this coming Tuesday!  I did not have to work the night before but I did have a birthday party the night before so not sure which was worse! Lol!  Since this was a joint party for myself and a friend, I did not exactly hold back.  I had a ton of fun and stayed up quite late but did make sure I did not go overboard (i.e. did not do a repeat of the night before the Centurion! Ha!).  I did get a fair amount of sleep but woke up exhausted and had to pry myself out of bed to make sure I caught the bus to make it to York U for the OMA Ontario Champs.  I decided to run the 3000m again and to see if I could improve.  I was thinking about running a second event but when I realized that my bday party was the night before I decided to just stick to one.  I did a decent warm up but again, did not want to run too much as I wanted to save whatever I could for the run.  I am pretty sure though I could have done a longer warm up and it would not have sucked any extra energy out from me.  This time I had some advise thanks to Duncan and followed a target.  When the gun went off I tucked behind a guy and stuck with him for a while.  And I mean I was right behind him.  He had a good pace and I felt comfortable.  Then I felt as though he was slowing down a bit and another guy had passed us so I decided after a corner to pass him and try to catch the other guy.  I probably should have stuck to the other guy as soon as he passed because I was not able to catch up to him.  But I had my eyes set on him for a good while.  I was so focused on my targets that I had no idea what lap I was at or how long I was running for.  Mind you, 15 laps is also a lot to count which is why there are lap counters for us.  But unlike what I had the last time, my person was not yelling at me the number of remaining laps I had left.  I heard the bell lap but I was unaware it was for me.  I thought there was another person right behind me who was going for their final lap.  I thought I had another one left.  So I was not able to give it my all in my final lap with a finishing kick as I did not realize it was my final lap.  I had another teammate of mine who was taking photographs tell me I was done. I was ready for one more and actually a little disappointed that I did not get to do a finishing kick (my version of it anyway!).  Lol!!!  As I was approaching the finish line I saw the time of 13:35 or something and thought to myself, "boy, I ran slower today...how am I going to run a 30sec 200m!".  Haha!  My finishing time was 13:51 which is 17sec faster than my last run.  Initially, I thought I actually ran 30sec faster and was really ecstatic with that.  Not sure why I thought that but it turned out to be only 17sec faster.  Hmmm....wonder how much I could bring it down if I was able to throw the hammer on the final lap! ;)  I think the pacing really helped me though and I felt pretty comfortable throughout!  I think I may try this again in a couple of weeks and try to run even faster.  I did have a lot of fun today and the encouragement was awesome!!!!  Thanks!  But I am also losing my voice right now at work again accompanied by a nice cough.  Guess I can't avoid that with indoor track running.

2 comments:

foreknowledge ltd said...

Wendy ... you ran a superb race. It's too bad about the lap counting. Usually, the counters are loud and clear. Sometimes though (and I suspect this was the case yesterday), there aren't enough counters for all the runners, and counters have to double (or even triple) up. This gets really hairy when there is lapping going on, and 2 or more of your runners approach near each other. You have to yell the laps left to the runner(s) and record the split at the same time. Maybe that was part of the problem yesterday

Wendy said...

thx duncan! :)