Saturday, March 17, 2012

Canadian Masters Indoor Champs

This report is a week late but I have not had internet access for the past week.  I went on a ski trip with my second family to Magog, Quebec at Mont Orford.  This was my first time downhill skiing (well, first official time was a day school trip to Mt. St. Louis Moonstone back in grade 6)  and I had a blast.  We skied for 4 days all day and I had 5hrs worth of lessons through the week.  The instructor even took me onto the black diamond trail without telling me, lol!  I was slow on the steep parts but more because I did not want to lose control and get injured and ruin the rest of my season; which was my greatest fear.  I know one too many folks who tore their ACL or MCL from skiing and I did not want this to happen so I was a little on the cautious side out there.  By the end of the week I was much more comfortable and even pushed the speed a little until I crashed, lol!  Here are a couple of pics from my ski week:

maneuvering a turn

yay! my skis are actually parallel! lol!

waiting for our lesson
Now....back to my original reason for posting.  I wanted to write a brief recap of the Canadian Masters Indoor Championships which I decided to participate in.  I ran the 3000m again and did this in between my night shifts.  I managed to get about three hours of sleep after work before I headed to the track.  I wanted to improve on my previous time and I am happy to report that I did!  I again ran behind a target, but this time when another guy was passing us I then passed the person I was following and tried to stick to the faster guy for as long as I could.  This helped me tremendously and I stuck with him for about 10 laps or so.  And this time I was more aware of what lap I was on and knew when I had two more and was able to push it a bit and give a final kick on the last lap.  My result: 13:30:61! Yay!  I shaved off another 21 seconds!  And I even passed other runners!  In addition, UTTC was the winning club for the Ontario Master Indoor Club series over five events!  Yay team!  We were also the winning club at nationals! :)

No comments: