Monday, April 9, 2012

Hollywood Half Marathon

Before I write about my half marathon report, I wanted to mention something about the Oceanside 70.3 that I forgot to add.  Pro triathlete and overall winner Andy Potts is an amazing guy!!!!  After he took the win and did some post race stuff, he was out on the run course cheering us on very enthusiastically!!! :)  He truly is a class act!  I realized it was him as I was passing him and thought that was a really cool thing to do.  Not many pros do this!  My other previous pro encounter was Macca (Chris McCormack) who was out on the run course when I did St. Croix 70.3 handing out gels at an aid station.

Now for the run report:

Hollywood Half Marathon
Los Angeles, CA
Apr 7, 2012

As mentioned on a previous post, I decided to run the Hollywood Half Marathon only a week after the Oceanside 70.3 and after a cycling focused training week while in Santa Monica.  I decided to do this as I figured this would be the only time I had a chance to run an event like this and it sounded like fun!  We were told we would be running on the Walk of Fame!  And it was also a chance to see Hollywood!!!

I did a short 8km run two days before the run to try to get some running legs under me after a heavy dose of cycling in the hills of Malibu and Santa Monica.  This run HURT! And I was SLOW!  I also did a run the day before after our ride and I cut it to only 10min because my legs were very heavy.  I was not expecting much on race day as I figured my legs were just not fresh enough for a strong performance.  It was an early morning on Saturday as the run started at 6am!  We got to Universal Studios where the race was based out of fairly easily with parking being a bit of a traffic jam.

Mind over matter really works.  The run started and adrenaline kicked in and I was running a pretty fast pace, the downhill at the beginning also helped though, lol!  I tried to settle into a pace and found myself holding about a 5:14-5:17 min/km pace.  Huh!  As the kilometres ticked on I was still holding pace and then I decided to go for this.  Maybe I can PB I thought!?!?  Maybe I can at least match my Chilly time.  So I became aggressive and ran hard to maintain a 5:15 or so and I was doing it.  My legs on the other hand were saying WTF!!!  Haha!  And I told them to shut-up!!!  And I told them to shut-up often! Lol!  My mind would start doubting what I was doing: I just did a half ironman last weekend, and I have been cycling up quad busting climbs...this is hurting too much!  But I just replied with a shut up and keep pushing!  It would have been funny to listen to the conversation going on in my mind.  I started to push even harder on the second half hoping I wouldn't blow up.  I hit the 18km mark and had an average of 5:16min/km to that point!  Sweet!  I can do this!  I can at least match my Chilly time, but maybe I can come even closer to 1:50!!!!  I was getting very excited with this!  And then it was all over! :(  I was met up with an evil 3km climb that averaged about 5%.  Boooo!!!!  My pace dropped to a 6:24, 6:59, and 6:13 for the last three km.  I tried to push but my quads wanted no part in this!  I lost 3.5min easily right there.  Chilly is a flat course compared to this and I was able to run faster the last couple of km.  No chance here.  Once the hill was done I tried to run as fast as I could the last 600m or so but of course it was too late by then.  Ah well!  I crossed the line in 1:55:16 and thought I was going to puke.  Seriously!  I did not stop for any food or drinks because I totally thought I was going to hurl and had to get away.  I stayed close to the barriers in case I had to turn around and puke! Lol!



Considering the training and racing before this run, I am quite pleased!  I almost did it!  Almost another PB!  And with little long distance runs so early in the season.  I am happy!  I was 59/685 in my age group, 275/3815 female, and 870/6094 overall!  This was my 4th fastest half.  But now my quads hurt!  I did do one final hilly ride before I packed my bike to head home and that ride hurt a little too! ;)

A side note: I did not notice us running on the Walk of Fame, not sure if we actually did.  I was looking.  We ran on Hollywood and Sunset Blvds and it was ok.  Not very scenic.  And I know of two "stars" who ran this as well: Thor and Sean Astin.  I wonder who else ran the race too???  We did get into the post race breakfast at Hard Rock Cafe, that was pretty sweet! And yummy!  Eggs, bacon, and french toast!  Mmmmm!!!!!

Here is a pic of us post race at Universal and another pic of the finishers medals I got for both races:


No comments: