Sunday, August 12, 2012

Ironman #8 12:01:22!!!

Just a quick post to report a new Ironman PB!!!! Woohoo!!!!!!  I will write up a proper race report soon but a brief recap:  swim was insanely fast!  The current in the Hudson made for some fast swim times and I came out of the water in 46:57!  That was fast and I will never replicate that time again!  The bike was challenging and fair.  I, on the other hand, got an unfair drafting penalty!  I am still shocked I got a red card and was not sure what to do.  I was in the process of passing two cyclists who themselves were drafting off of each other up a hill and I guess it took me longer than 30 seconds to pass them both, but I was going up a hill!!!!  So I lost 4+ minutes in the penalty tent for this!  Argh!  Bike time was 6:26:01.  Run was very challenging complete with lots of hills, running up and down stairs, with some heat and humidity.  I gave it my all and ran my fastest marathon in an IM at 4:40:30.  Total time was 12:01:22!!!!  Woohoo!!!!  I wanted sub 12:30 and wanted close to 12hrs as possible, but did not think this was possible yet!  It was a thought I put off to the side.  If I did not get that damn drafting penalty I would have went under 12hrs!  Well, my effort was a little much for my body (and the fact I lost all my salt pills on the run), I pretty much collapsed at the finish line.  My legs started cramping and I was held up by one catcher and soon enough a second catcher was holding me up as I was no longer able to hold myself up and a 3rd volunteer was directing and making way for the catchers to take me to the med tent.  At that point I was pretty much out of it, I heard everything going on but I wasn't responding.  And I couldn't.  More details in my race report but I ended up being in there for almost three hours and getting 3 IV fluid bags for me to start feeling better and become more responsive!  When I was finally let go and I saw my friends I started cramping again and had to be held up by them! Lol! Other volunteers were asking if I needed to go into the med tent and our response was that I just got out from there!  Haha!  Yep, I was in pretty rough shape!  Looks like I came in 16th in my age group and 638th overall!  Not bad at all!  I am enjoying NYC today and overindulging on some treats including cupcakes, gelato, and some cocktails!

2 comments:

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

I also got a 4 minute penalty on the course that day. But mine was warranted as I decided to talk to a guy as I was passing him (and took too long). But great race, and congrats.

Wendy said...

congrats to you too! looks like it may be the first and last time this race will run!