Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Parry Sound Tri

I went up north to my second home on the weekend to participate in the Bobby Orr Hall of Fame Triathlon. I arrived Thursday evening and literally got off the bus and on the bike to participate in the Nacho tri club time trial.  Since this was my first time on the bike since IM I was just doing this ride to ride and not race.  I still pushed it more than I should have but I did not go all out.  I averaged about 32 km/hr for the 16.3km bike ride, not bad! I skipped the run portion though.  Friday I went out for an easy 30km ride and then Saturday I raced.  Before the sprint race happened I volunteered in the try-a-tri.  Maybe not the optimal pre race prep as I was out in the sun for the whole event directing athletes from swim to bike then bike to run.

My race: the swim went ok.  This really was just my second swim since IM and I may have lost some speed.  I completed the 750m swim in 13:50 and came out of the water in 16th overall.  Got on the bike and really tried to push it here.  The course was pretty hilly and there was also a good wind fighting us.  I made up some time here and came off the bike 4th overall and first woman!  That was pretty sweet!!!  I ended up with the 6th fastest bike split of the day! Time was 42:14 for 23km and I avg 32.7 km/hr.  Then the run.  This is when I felt it.  I was not quite ready for such an effort post IM.  I think my trip to the med tent should have indicated to me that I was going to take longer than usual to recover from the IM.  I suffered big time and the heat did not help!  It was super HOT out there!  I held onto the lead of first women overall until about 3km into the run, passed the half way point.  I got a really bad side stitch within the first km of the run and could not shake it off.  I was hurting and could not push the pace anymore.  In fact, I slowed down a lot in the last couple of km because the side stitch was just getting worse.  I really wanted to just walk!  But I fought through it and got passed by 3 women; ah well!  In hindsight, maybe it was a good thing I could not push the run because then I did not cause added stress to my hamstring which I also think is not quite ready for a hard effort.  I ran the 5km in 26:10 for a 5:14min/km pace.  I managed to hold onto 3rd place in my age group, 4th women overall, and 15th overall.  Not too bad!  I then helped out with the take down of the race venue and that was more work than the race itself, lol!  The next day I helped out and volunteered with the kids race and that was a lot of fun!

Race #2 of my crazy 5 week race schedule is done.  Race #3 is next weekend with the Muskoka 70.3 and then that is followed by the Savageman double the following weekend.  In 5 weeks, I signed up to race an Ironman, 2 half ironmans, an olympic, and a sprint race.  Just saying this out loud makes me realize how stupid this is! Lol!  I did not think things through when I was signing up for races last year.  I thought a sprint race 2 weeks after an IM would be fine.  However, I did not account for the effort I put into IM that pretty much wiped me out.  Then the back to back half IM weekends, and hard ones to boot!  Really, what was I thinking!?  Apparently, I wasn't!

No comments: