Friday, August 10, 2012

One more sleep!

Tomorrow is the big day!!!  And the closer we get to race time, the more this race becomes less and less appealing! Boo!!!  Besides the crazy logistics of this race, some unexpected incidents came up.

The big news: the swim may be cancelled!!! :(:(:(  I would be sooo disappointed if this were the case.  The swim is my strongest leg of the triathlon and gives me a boost in the standings.  Without the swim, this will suck!  What happened?  A sewer line burst yesterday and they will be doing controlled dumping of sewage into the Hudson.  Here is a link to the incident, swimming in the Hudson may just be that much more interesting:  http://www.lohud.com/article/20120808/NEWS02/120808006/Sewer-line-break-Tarrytown-prompts-advisory-avoid-Hudson-water?nclick_check=1

The second news: Weather!!!  The forecast is calling for thunderstorms and lightening!  So if the sewage doesn't shut down the swim, lightening just may do it! :(  Again, I would be soooo disappointed with no swim!  Right now, we are waiting til they make the official call for the swim at 4pm.  We'll just have to wait and see.

The trip here was pretty good until we got into NYC.  The Garmin took us through a sketchy area of Brooklyn before taking us into Manhattan.  We completed registration and got settled at our friend's place for the night.  Being an urban Ironman, things are a bit different here.  Swim practice yesterday and this morning was not open water, it was in a short indoor pool at a pretty swanky NYC gym.  Here is a pic of the pool we've been swimming at:


I did successfully patch up my wetsuit after trying to borrow a wetsuit failed for the weekend!  I sewed up the gaping hole with some fishing nylon thread and then sealed it with some wetsuit sealant!  It looks pretty good and I think this will last for the rest of the season!

Last night was the carbo load dinner.  The spread was actually pretty good and I ate lots!  I was surprised at how much I ate!  Haha!  Here is a pic of my dinner that I pretty much demolished:


It is currently raining here in NYC and we still need to drop off our bikes and gear bags.  Looks like we will be doing this in the rain as we need to leave shortly to catch a ferry to transition.  At least all my gear bags and nutrition for race day is all done.  I will post later with an update of what happens with the swim.  For now, below is a pic of my gear bags all ready to go:


No comments: